Sheridan, Peter - Below: Music For Low Flutes
A specialist in low flutes (bass, contrabass and sub-contrabass flutes), performer Peter Sheridan has commissioned over seventy compositions for these unique instruments.
Claire Cooper studied with John Winther at the Canberra School of Music, and later at the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts. She spent five years as repetiteur and accompanist for the Victorian College of the Arts and was a member of staff at the Faculty of Music, University of Melbourne as an accompanist.
[widgetic-audio-player id=5baef69aecb2a1d16c8b456a autoscale=on width=500 height=350 resize=fill-width]
This charming and rare recording features predominantly commissioned chamber music for low flutes that was composed to showcase the lyrical and colourful tonal qualities of these instruments, expanding their small yet growing repertoire.
Low flutes are mostly a 20th century invention, yet the concept of extending a particular instrumental sound dates back to the Renaissance period, when recorder consorts, with bass and alto recorders were used frequently in performances. In recent times, the popularity of low flutes grew with the renewed interest in the flute choir and flute quartet. Low flutes are basically members of the extended flute family, which play below the range of the standard orchestral C flute.
These instruments include the alto flute in G (four notes below the C flute), the bass flute in C (one octave below C flute), the contrabass flute in C (two octaves below C flute, played in an upright standing position), and the sub-contra bass flute in C (three octaves below the C flute, played either sitting or standing). There are a few other low flutes not represented on this recording. These are the Pinschofon in C, bass flutes in F and G, and a extra large piped instrument known as the hyperbass flute.
A Small Sonata For A Large Flute Gary Schocker
- Irish In The Lowlands Sheridon Stokes
- Virtuosic Etudes: Winter Sun Hilary Taggart Peter Sheridan
- Virtuosic Etudes: Allegro Vivace, Op 4 #18 Jules Demerssemann Peter Sheridan
- Virtuosic Etudes: Allegretto Vivo, Op 33 #8 Ernesto Kohler Peter Sheridan
- Madrigal Philippe Gaubert
City Vignettes Patrick Neher
- Corner Encounter
- Block Party
Adventures Under A Leaf Gary Schocker
- Elegy Bruce Lawrence
- There Is A Difference Between Apples And Men Vinny Golia
- And The Giant Began To Dance Peter Sheridan
- Below Alex Shapiro
- Peter Sheridan · alto, bass, contrabass and sub-contrabass flutes
- Sheridon Stokes · bass flute, irish flute, piccolo · track 4
- Lisa-Maree Amos · c flute · tracks 12—16
- Peter Neville · vibraphone · track 18
- Heather Price · double bass · tracks 9—11
- Claire Cooper · piano · tracks 1—3, 9—11 and 17
- John Sawoski · piano · track 8