Brahms, Johannes - Piano Pieces Op 76
Brahms mainly composed the eight Piano Pieces op. 76 in summer 1878 in the summer resort of Pörtschach at Lake Wörth. Theodor Billroth, a close friend, was enthusiastic about the new works: “These are magnificent pieces, beautiful and interesting to play. They lie so well under the hand for those who are a little used to Schumann’s and Chopin’s technique that it is a pleasure to practise them.” As the volume “Piano Pieces” was published in 2011 as part of the Johannes Brahms Complete Edition (HN 6014), we are now replacing the previous volume HN 118 with this new one, presenting these “magnificent pieces” in the musical text of the Complete Edition, accompanied by revealing commentaries detailing their genesis and publication.